Thursday, March 20, 2008

I only make jokes to distract myself from the truth

Ok, I know I'm taking this blogging thing a little far with the multiple posts in only a few short hours, but I decided to post a few musical items I felt were inspiring... well, inspiring for me.

1) Sia Live at KCRW


or http://youtube.com/watch?v=dfK7HgzjBks&feature=related

What I love about her, besides her obvious quirkiness and ability to look adorable while purposely acting like a child or in her words "make jokes to distract myself" is her ability to utilize the vocal gymnastics or "melismas" that made Christina A. or Mariah famous, but without over using them or making them sound forced. If you go to 3:10 into it, you'll get to my fave part where she just belts it out. TALENT!

2) Glen Hansard "Say It To Me Now"


Of course everyone knows I was pretty much obsessed with the movie Once, but it's truly Glen who brings the magic to the movie and music. I've never heard anyone so passionate while still perfectly hitting every note, even those crazy high ones. Ironically, about a month after this footage took place, my brother and I went with Brian to see the Swell Season (the band they call themselves on the road) and Glen happened to lose the electrical part of the mic(some technical thing I can't explain properly) and had to sing the song without any mics or amps. The entire theater was silent waiting patiently for him to hit each and every note and he never dissapointed, perfectly.

3) Jonatha Brooke "Because I Told You So"


Probably the best concert(s) I've been to in my life. She writes beautifully and sings and performs just as amazingly. About two years ago, I was at a Keren Ann concert and sitting at a table next to the other Blue Noters was Jonatha. I was so overcome with excitement, I ran over and professed my love and adoration for her and explained that I worked for BN and was at the concert as a fan as well as for business. She then professed her love for Keren Ann and said she would love to meet her. What's even funnier, is that about a year before this, Keren and I had bonded over the fact that we both were obsessed with Jonatha and had been for well over a decade. So, I grabbed her hand and took her backstage and explained that Keren was her biggest fan. So, when they both first saw eachother it was such an implosion of mutual respect and admiration, I ended up jumping in and explaining how I once wrote a song after listening to Jonatha's "Inconsolable" off of Plumb. The blank stares I got from both of them which then turned into "awwwww, she thinks she's a singer/songwriter" was so embarrassing, I left within 10 seconds and went back to my chardonnay. But, Jonatha did come back over and thank me.

4) Keren Ann "Lay Your Head Down"


The video is amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ks9LbW4ml8 - this is just a perfect display of her personality as well as her talent. She's not a phenom singer, but her producing and writing skills are incredible.

No comments: