Have you ever met someone and instantly felt like you knew them? You both feel this and begin to try and unravel the mystery but come to the conclusion that you just look familiar? I've had this with 3 people in my life. One I don't speak to anymore, one is still a close friend who recently had twins(I will post photos from my visit tomorrow) and one is, well, special.
We met in college on a retreat for a working internship where new and old employees were becoming acquainted with one another. I sat down knowing absolutely no one, drinking my diet coke and suddenly looked up. In a baseball cap he sat there, looking up occasionally to catch my eye. Four years of college with 99% Wasp's had either blurred my vision or this guy looked familiar. Is he Jewish? Yeah, he has to be from LA. Oh I know, we went to Camp Hess Kramer together! We both directly meandered over to one another to open up the conversation and I soon learned that not only was he NOT single (dammit) but his girlfriend of four years was from L.A. Actually, she was from the next town over, Calabasas. Of course I knew who this guy was. He was that guy other people had told me about for a couple years. We were destined to meet no matter what. But I still had never seen him in person before. The familiarity in his face and especially voice continued to haunt me. Why were his eyes so comforting and why did his smile remind me of home. Even his cologne reminded me of summers in Lake Arrowhead and yet, we'd never met before.
When I was around five or six, while playing with my Barbie and My Little Pony, I use to let my mind wander off away from the task at hand. Sometimes I'd day dream. You know, like about our summer family trip to Disney World or about how I could get my brother to stay out of my room without getting in trouble. But sometimes, I would wander to a place most five year-olds wouldn't even know how to wander to. There I was, dressed in heavy rain boots that reached up to my thighs covering the rest of my khaki overalls. A thick brimmed hat kept my small head in place, still blurring my vision from the water in my eyes. I never saw anyone else with me, but I was definitely on a boat, a fishing boat, and I was very old and mostly lonely. Most of the time it was night and I was sitting and waiting for a storm to pass. Then, without notice, I'd be back in my petal pink bedroom with Glitter Rockin Barbie in one hand and the other hand feverishly being bitten up by my teeth. Was I just day dreaming or was I tapping into something a little more sixth sense.
I still speak to the guy with the baseball cap on. He is no longer with that girlfriend from Calabasas and we eventually became very familiar with one another. But maturity, career paths, stubbornness and timing can really affect the success of a relationship. Sometimes we meet people so that they can help us open a new door and other times we meet to help them close the last. I've opened a ton of doors in the last 9 years but haven't quite closed the original.
Inspired by my recent melancholic and romantic state of mind, tonight I watched a movie revolving around all of these themes. Hollywood added murder, but I still think it's a whimsical romantic dramedy that I suggest to everyone. In fact, sign up with Hulu for free and watch the whole thing right here on my blog.
http://www.hulu.com/watch/79905/dead-again
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment